Noodelist Recipe Tips: Vappukukka Noodles by Maija
Vappukukka Noodles for 6 - In celebration of First of May
Story behind this recipe by Maija Lähdesmäki - Instagram: @mymaias
“Selling and later buying #vappukukka was one tradition I had when living in Finland. Vappukukka is a flower pin that has been sold as a fundraising campaign for 112 years. Not sure where the funds go nowadays, but it started as an effort to lower infant mortality. I created this recipe from the super delicious @noodelist noodles that flower pin in my mind. So the carrots in the recipe are shaped as flowers. And trust me, they don’t only look cute, they also taste better. The recipe will be on my website soon. Psst. You can make these after Vappu as well.“
Noodelist noodles, either shiitake or vegan chicken’ish
2 tbsp canola or sunflower oil
2-3 large carrots, peeled, and thich part used for flower shape cut outs (see picture)
1 garlic glove, grated
2 cm/0.78 inches fresh ginger, grated
1 package of sriracha tofu (or any tofu), cut in ¼ inch slices
6-8 medium size shiitake mushrooms, sliced in 4-5 pieces each
1 tbsp of white miso
1 tbsp of seasoned bean paste (sold in Asian stores)
2 tbsp of soy sauce
4 spring onion, thinly sliced diagonally
1. Peel the carrots and slice the thick part in ¼ inch rounds. Using the flower shaped cookie cutter, cut out flowers and save both flowers and the “edges”.
2. Sauteé the carrots in the oiled pan in medium heat for few minutes.
3. Add grated garlic and ginger, be careful not to burn them.
4. Add tofu slices and cook them for a minute on both sides. Move carrots and tofu along with garlic and ginger to the other side of the pan, and sauteé the mushrooms on another side. Add some oil if needed.
5. Stir frequently. Everything will be nicely done in a few minutes.
Prepare the noodles according to the instructions. Top the noodles with vegetables and tofu, and garnish with spring onions.